It's hard to say "I love you" in a new way. But it's easy to begin with little things that make you say, "Yes," and go from there.
Finding joy in your life is a big part of the plan.
I believe we have set points, but not of happiness, of joy. I know that even in moments of extreme grief I can feel joy. Joy is a pursuit. Joy is either a focus of your attention or not. It’s kind of like being positive, but it’s different.
- A Radical Approach to Joy
- Big Love & the Tonic Effect of Being In a Nourishing Relationship
- Looking to Get a Little Higher: Seeking Elevation & Immortality
- In This Moment You Choose: Happy or Resentful
- Finding Myself and My Body, Again
- Setting Priorities in Life: The Only Path Forward
- Listening To Yourself About Craving, Loneliness, Longing
- This Very Moment… This Is It… Stop… Smell the Roses… Give Thanks.
- My Hierarchy of Needs Revisited: The Short List of Happiness
- Overwhelmed and Out of Balance: Finding Your Inner Chill
- The Company You Keep and Keeping Your Own Company
- Resilience, Self-Care, the Mindset of Joy in This Moment
Joy is different than happiness. Joy is part of our internal compass. You’ve got to find your own inner joy. It’s a big shift, this focus on inner joy and not outer happiness. I cannot control many of the aspects of my life. I am not always happy. But, I am learning to be always joyful.
So what do you do with a relationship between men and women when the request for sex is constant and unrelenting? Well, of course, the man needs to figure out a way to pleasure himself, or he's going to be frustrated a lot of the time. And it's really not the woman's responsibility, even in a marriage, to pleasure us.
My self-acceptance is not quite what I would call self-love, but I really appreciate the term self-care. And by caring for myself I am showing love for parts of myself I have always tried to hide.
Recalibrating our taste in a mate is difficult with all of these examples showing us what we should desire. Women have unrealistic expectations, that is draining all the life out of many of them as they try to perfect something in themselves. Abs, for example, may not be that important to their actual happiness. And men, well, expectations cut in our direction as well. The images of desirable men are everywhere as well. But they are not as rigid.
I look forward to having another opportunity to learn about myself "in a relationship" at some point. I'm happy and patient right where I am. But I believe by having my priorities clear and articulated I can do a better job of finding and sorting through the process of finding that NEXT RELATIONSHIP. I wait enthusiastically.
There is no time like the present to flip your anger into absurd, cackling, fake laughter. It's a known fact that your physical body doesn't really know the difference between real laughter and fake laughter. So if you give a big ol' Pee Wee Herman laugh, your body really thinks you are laughing. The endorphins and physical joy comes back into your system, fires up the happy side of your brain, and can bring you part of the way back to center.