Divorce, Kids, Love, Self-discovery, Sex. A Reading List.
(Amazon Affiliate Links for Easy Location)
TOP PICK: The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman (if you don’t know your love language, or the love language of your significant other, you’re going to be in trouble. The book I refer to the most as I’m moving into dating again and learning what’s MOST IMPORTANT TO ME: TOUCH.
Divorce is a messy business (get the money & anger out of the way and focus on the kids)
- **Always Dad: Being a Great Father During & After Divorce – Paul Mandelstein
- Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead – Brené Brown
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead – Brené Brown
- Better Apart: The Radically Positive Way to Separate – Gabrielle Hartley
- Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way – M. Gary Neuman
- Crazy Time: Surviving Divorce and Building a New Life – Abigail Trafford
- Mom’s House, Dad’s House: Making Two Homes for Your Child – Isolina Ricci
- **Rebuilding: When Your Relationship Ends – Bruce Fisher
- Getting Past Your Breakup – Susan J. Elliott
- The Complete Single Father: Reassuring Answers to Your Most Challenging Situations – Michael Shimberg
- **Uncoupling – Turning Points in Intimate Relationships – Diane Vaughan
- No More Mr Nice Guy
- The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
Post-Divorce Bliss: Ending Us and Finding Me – Jude Walsh
- **A General Theory of Love Thomas Lewis, M. D. et al.
- The Soul of Sex: Cultivating Life as an Act of Love – Thomas Moore
- ** Care of the Soul – Thomas Moore
- The 5 Love Languages – Gary Chapman
- **The Artist’s Way – Julie Cameron
- **A Writer’s Time (I think you need to write it out) – Kenneth Atchity
- The Boy Crisis – Why Our Boys Are Struggling and What We Can Do About It – Warren Farrell PhD & John Grey PhD
- The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy – Edward Hallowell, M.D.
- **The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self – Alice Miller
- Resiliency: What We Have Learned – Bonnie Benard
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
- The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
How Things Went Wrong (Attempting to Save Your Marriage)
- The Sex-Starved Marriage: Boosting Your Marriage Libido: A Couple’s Guide – Michele Weiner Davis
- Rekindling Desire: A Step by Step Program to Help Low-Sex and No-Sex Marriages – Barry and Emily McCarthy
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide – John M. Gottman
- The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs
- **Get It Done When You’re Depressed
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
- Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness
- Listening to Prozac: The Landmark Book About Antidepressants and the Remaking of the Self
- **Against Depression
- How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person’s Guide to Suicide Prevention
- It’s Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Your Authentic Self
- Talking to Depression
Mind Over Mood Workbook: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think
Dating, Relationships, and Sex
- Single Dad Seeks: Dating Again After Divorce
- Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex – and How to Get It – Marty Klein
- His Porn, Her Pain: Confronting America’s PornPanic with Honest Talk about Sex – Marty Klein
- A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the Internet Tells Us About Sexual Relationships – The Deep Data About Our Porn Searches Online
- Get Inside Her: Dirty Dating Tips & Secrets From A Woman
- How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
- Real Love in Marriage: The Truth About Finding Genuine Happiness Now and Forever
- NEW RESOURCE: 5 Skills Porn Teaches You
Recovery and Addiction
Leadership and Self Management
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
- No More Mr. Nice Guy: A Proven Guide for Getting What You Want
** exceptional, must-have, books
This Post Has 2 Comments
Hi, just found your site from Twitter.
Am appreciating the forward motion and refusal to blame in your writing. Been there, done that, and I know how hard it can be to achieve. And your list of great books is such a great idea!
I am writing a book on the inside experience of moms and dads doing shared parenting, as I found my own journey so lonely when I was doing it. Hoping to offer glimpses that will make other coparents feel less alone. (CoParentAuthor on Twitter). Just dipping my toe in the blogging world.
Look forward to reading more.
Great comment Karen. Thank you. I’m glad to hear you resonated with my work at maintaining the positive in all of my transactions with the mother of my kids. I will look for your posts. (grin) Thanks. JM